UNICEF Palestine is looking for interested Palestinians to apply to the undermentioned position in its Hebron office. If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
Title: Communication Officer - Gaza
Vacancy No: HR/VN/2016/03 Job Level: NOB
Duty Station: Gaza Type of Contract: Fixed Term
Duration: One year with possibility of extension Closing Date: 04 February 2016
Purpose for the job:
The Communication Officer reports to the Chief of Field Office in Gaza with a dotted reporting line to the Chief of Communication for technical supervision and adherence to the office’s communication strategy. S/He is responsible for supporting the conceptualization, planning, execution, monitoring and evaluation of an advocacy, communication and communication for development (C4D) strategy to promote respect for children’ and women’s rights, and to support UNICEF’s mission in the country.
1. Quality and timely production of materials: ensure that the production of communication products and materials is executed in a timely manner and followed up to support the country communication and advocacy strategy, regional and global campaigns and priorities and to support resource mobilization as set out in the work plan.
2. Mass media outreach: Effective and timely professional assistance and support are provided in developing, drafting and maintaining contact information, materials and relationships with journalists and media outlets covering all media – print, TV, radio, web etc. in the country, to communicate the story of UNICEF’s cooperation to a wider audience.
3. Event management: Engages nationally known personalities and organizes special events and activities to support country programme goals. Generates public support for special events.
4. Internal media preparedness: In coordination with the Chief of Communication, advises the Chief of Field Office and the country programme team on the effective use of tools of mass communication, including press briefings and conferences and media interviews, to achieve country programme objectives.
5. High level field visits: In coordination with the Chief of Communication, participates in Regional and Global advocacy activities by planning visits of goodwill ambassadors, National Committee representatives and Executive Board members, includingpreparation of information materials (e.g., press releases, programme summaries, country fact sheets and media kits, social media posts), and necessary logistical arrangements.
6. Communication strategy: Provides technical support and assistance in the development, management and facilitation of the implementation of the programme communication strategy (communication for development – C4D), plans of action and activities for strategic communication and promotion for social and behavioural change in support of country programme delivery, including research.
7. Building partnerships and networks: Develops and enhances strong partnerships with community groups, leaders and other partners in the community and civil society for promotion of participation in social and behavioural changes supportive of programme goals, and provides effective coordination and technical support to government counterparts and other partners in the development and strategic use of communication for social development.
Qualifications of successful candidate:
BA in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations, or equivalent professional work experience in the communication, advocacy and communication for development area. Advance university degree is an asset.
Minimum of 2 years of experience in communication, advocacy and/or communication for development
Language Proficiency: Fluency in English and Arabic
Specific Technical Knowledge Required
· Core values: Commitment, Diversity and inclusion, integrity
· Core competencies: Communication, drive for results, working with people
· Functional competencies: Formulating strategies and concepts, Applying technical expertise, Planning and organizing, Relating and networking, Persuading and influencing, Learning and researching,
· UNICEF's salary and benefits are based on the United Nations Common System for national staff;
- If you have experience in working in a similar capacity and want to make an active and lasting contribution to build a better world for children and match the profile outlined, send a detailed curriculum vitae in English AND a duly completed United Nations Personal History form (P11) together with an application letter addressed to the Chief of Operations, UNICEF State of Palestine. The P11 form can be downloaded from our Web site http://www.unicef.org/opt
- Deadline for Receipt of Applications: 04 February 2016
- Please quote vacancy notice number HR/VN/2016/03 Communication Officer Gaza in the subject line and submit application by email to:
Applications, which do not meet the specified minimum requirements or those that will be received after the closing date will not be considered.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization
UNICEF is a smoke free environment