Secours Islamique France
Hygiene and Sanitation Promoter
As part of the WASH intervention, to safeguard and improve the public health of the affected population by:
• Promoting safe WASH practices, including appropriate use and maintenance of WASH facilities and services,
• Ensuring appropriate community involvement in the design and delivery of essential WASH services and facilities.
Founded in 1992, Secours Islamique France (SIF) is a non-governmental organisation for international solidarity with a social and humanitarian mission With a presence in Asia, the Middle East, Africa and Europe, Secours Islamique France assists the peoples through its emergency aid, development and orphan sponsorship programmes in over 30 countries wherever humanitarian and social needs exist, without regard to race, religion or gender.
SIF Gaza Strip (GS) Mission in the Palestinian Territory (PT) was established in 2008, and since then has developed a comprehensive knowledge of the local context and understanding of local needs. SIF GS is a member of the Food Security, including Agriculture, WASH, Education, Child Protection, Health & Nutrition and Shelter/NFIs clusters since many years and plays an active role in all cluster meetings. SIF GS also works in coordination with many local and international and humanitarian organizations in the GS and local NGOs to assess, share information and coordinate project implementation. The Palestinian Authority (PA) to obtain authorizations.
Since 2008, SIF GS has implemented many emergency, seasonal and developmental projects in several sectors, including food security, including agriculture, education, child protection, WASH, health & nutrition and shelter & NFIs.
DEFINITION OF THE FUNCTION
• Help plan and carry out needs assessments, baseline studies and periodic studies, and feedback findings to stakeholders,
• Help plan activities to reduce WASH-related risks,
• Collate data from community mobilisers and prepare regular reports on activities, and WASH conditions for monitoring,
• Coordinate with water supply and sanitation field staff to ensure that the various aspects of the WASH response are integrated.
• Liaise with community leaders and other sectors and agencies working locally in order to coordinate within the WASH sector and between sectors such as health and shelter.
• Keep proper records of field expenditures and report on these to the Wash Project Manager,
• Promote safe WASH practices, including appropriate use and maintenance of WASH facilities and services,
• Ensure that action is taken to mitigate priority water and sanitation related health risks,
• Facilitate appropriate community involvement in the design and delivery of essential WASH services and facilities,
• Enable effective dialogue with the affected community to allow the agency to be held to account for the quality of the WASH programme,
• Help identify needs for non-food items relevant to hygiene, participate in the choice of items, targeting strategy, promotion of effective use, and post-distribution monitoring.
• Recruit, train, and manage Community Mobilisers or other hygiene outreach workers,
• Organize day-to-day logistics, administration, and personnel activities together with the WASH Project Manager,
• Supervise Hygiene Promotion activities in line with relevant standards, codes of conduct, and humanitarian principles,
• Use participatory approaches as a far as possible throughout the programme cycle, in training, and in the use of tool kits and other materials,
• Supervise Hygiene Promotion activities and resources so that they are implemented, and handed over or ended in a way, that promotes local capacities and sustainable operations,
• Take account of gender, protection, the environment, and other important crosscutting concerns in programme design, implementation, and reporting; carry out activities in a way that reflects the needs of specific groups and individuals e.g. elderly people, children, and people with disabilities,
• University degree in one field of public health, health or hygiene promotion, community development, community water supply and sanitation or a related field.
• At least two years of practical experience in the country concerned, in relevant community development, health, WASH, or similar programme,
• Good knowledge and experience of working with local partner agencies,
• Experience and understanding of Hygiene Promotion and community mobilization in relation to water and sanitation activities,
• Sensitivity to the needs and priorities of different sectors of a community,
• Familiarity with the culture of the affected population, ability to develop respect from a wide range of people and strong ability to communicate effectively on hygiene matters,
• Fluency in the language of the affected population and the international language used in the humanitarian operation,
• Assessment, analytical, and planning skills,
• Good oral and written reporting skills,
• Diplomacy, tact, and negotiating skills,
• Training/counterpart development skills,
• Personnel management skills,
• Ability to work well in a team in difficult circumstances,
• Excellent communication skills and flexibility,
• Computer skills (Word, Excel),
Flexibility, Organisation skills, Sense of responsibilities, Good interpersonal skills, Ready to listen to people, Capacity to prioritize, Open-mindedness and common sense, Strong humanitarian motivation
Location: Gaza Strip - Rafah
Length of the contract: 6 month renewable
Missions Start: As soon as possible
Interested candidates are requested to send their CV & letter of motivation with the Ref # of the post (as indicated above) and two professional references for their last two employers no later than 02:00 p.m. on 6th December, 2016 to the following e-mail address:
Faxed CV’s or emails without the Post Title & Ref # will be neglected.
Only candidates possessing relevant experience will be considered.
Secours Islamique France is an equal opportunity employer