Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
Job Vacancy ICLA Project Manager, Gaza
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent, international humanitarian non-governmental organisation provides assistance, protection and durable solutions to refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) worldwide. NRC established its presence in Palestine in January 2009 and has developed programme activities in the sectors of shelter, education, WASH and the provision of information, counselling and legal assistance (ICLA).
The ICLA programme is providing legal assistance on Housing, Land and Property (HLP) issues, for displaced persons or at risk of displacement in the West Bank (Area C and East Jerusalem) and in Gaza. In late 2009, the NRC commenced a legal assistance programme in Gaza and established a legal aid Centre staffed by qualified lawyers who provide free legal assistance services.
NRC office in Gaza seeks a Project Manager for the Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) project. The ideal candidate will focus on providing capacity building for the team in Gaza, in particular in general management, budgeting and forecasting and report/proposal writing.
Job Title: Project Manager Department: Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) Project Job Location: Gaza
* Responsible for adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
* Contribute to the development of Country, Area and ICLA Project strategies, based on context, technical expertise and needs assessment within area
* Contribute with ICLA specific contextual analysis as input to the Contingency Plan to ICLA Programme Specialist
* Contribute to needs assessments, development and implementation of emergency response within area
* Responsible for providing area specific information to ICLA Programme Specialist for proposal development
* Responsible for development and follow up of detailed project work plans, spending plan, M&E plan and resource plan for the specific ICLA projects on area level
* Responsible for management and implementation of ICLA projects (activities and budgets) according to strategy, proposal, plans and budgets.
* Develop, manage and monitor project budget (in cooperation with ICLA Programme Specialist), and coordinate across CCs
* Responsible for providing regular reports to the Gaza Area Manager and the ICLA Programme Specialist on project implementation, including recommended improvements
* Responsible for seeking support and mentoring on technical issues from ICLA Programme Specialist, and complying with ICLA Programme Specialist technical directions to ensure high quality and cost efficient projects targeting the beneficiaries most in need of protection
* Participate in coordination mechanisms with donors, govt. and clusters.
* Participate in the recruitment of project staff.
* Responsible for capacity building of project staff, and transferring key skills through mentoring and on the job training
* Responsible for a management culture, a working and learning environment in line with NRC's values and leadership/management framework
* Line management for ICLA Coordinators and other project staff
* Promote the rights of beneficiaries in line with the advocacy strategy
* Overall management of the ICLA project in the Gaza Strip
* Ensuring donor grants are properly implemented in accordance with budget, logframe, planned activities and proposal objectives.
* Management of ICLA Gaza budgets
* Provision of strategic direction for ICLA Gaza project
* Line management of Project Coordinator, Senior Officers and Project Assistant, ensuring that staff roles and responsibilities are clearly understood.
* Keep up to date with legal developments and issues affecting beneficiaries and stakeholders in order to ensure relevant programming and identify new programmatic opportunities
* Representation of ICLA Gaza project to external stakeholders including UN agencies, INGOs and NGOs, local authorities and other key stakeholders.
* Maintain strong relationships with local implementing partners and CBOs.
* Act as ICLA Gaza focal point for Advocacy
* Work closely with ICLA Programme Specialist to ensure consistency of the ICLA Palestine programme
* Ensuring compliance with ICLA Gaza M & E obligations
1. Professional competencies
Generic professional competencies:
• Minimum 3 years of experience from a senior level project implementation position in humanitarian/recovery context
• Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
• Technical ICLA expertise
• Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
• Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
• Fluency in English, both written and verbal
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
* Relevant project management experience
* University degree in field of law, international law, management or other relevant field
* Minimum of 5 years relevant work experience in legal or management fields
* Experience working with donors, projects and in humanitarian context desirable
* Good budget management
* Knowledge of the context in Palestine
* Knowledge of Arabic is an advantage
* Knowledge of HLP and/or Residency law
* Cultural sensitivity
2. Behavioral competencies
* Managing resources to optimize results
* Managing performance and development
* Empowering and building trust
* Handling insecure environments
* Strategic planning and innovation
* Leadership – deciding and initiating action
Commencement: ASAP Duty station: Gaza Contract Period: 12 months Reporting to: Area Manager, NRC Gaza Office with technical line management to Core Competency Specialist in Jerusalem CO
Salary: According to NRC’s pay scale and Terms of Employment
Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interview