Diakonia is a Swedish civil society organisation working with a long-term and rights-based perspective to advance democracy and human rights, social and economic justice, gender equality, and peace and justice in developing countries. Our mission is to change unfair political, economic and social structures which generate poverty, oppression and violence. Diakonia’s Middle East regional office is looking for:
Position: Legal Advisor Responsible to: IHLRC Director Placement: Jerusalem
Period: One Year (with possibility of extension)
Work Percentage: Full- time
Deadline for applications: 10 October 2016
The Legal Advisor will work within a dynamic team of legal, advocacy, information, policy and programming experts at the Diakonia International Humanitarian Law Resource Centre (IHLRC). She/he will conduct research, produce reports and briefs, conduct training and engage with local and international partners through advocacy and outreach. The IHLRC will finalize and roll out a
newly updated and progressive three-year strategy in 2017, which will make this position particularly rewarding.
The Legal Advisor will be responsible for the following specific tasks:
1. Conceptualize and provide legal analysis on IHL/IHRL and related international law;
2. Conduct legal research, writing and analysis for legal briefs, reports, fact sheets and other writings;
3. Prepare and present legal briefings and presentations to IHLRC target groups;
4. Develop and conduct IHL/IHRL trainings, particularly related to mainstreaming IHL and related law into programming for humanitarian and development actors and donors;
5. Participate in internal peer review of legal analysis and writings;
6. Work together with IHLRC Director and team on advocacy and outreach with partners;
7. Participate as part of the IHLRC team working with visiting delegations;
8. Respond to help desk function requests and work with the IHLRC website, as needed;
9. Participate and represent the IHL Resource Centre in relevant forums and meet with stakeholders for consultation;
10. Participating with the IHLRC Director and under his/her guidance in joint work with partner
organizations as well as provide advice, development and capacity building of partners;
11. Contribute to the development of the IHLRC’s strategy, programme and policies, including by working with the team and partners to identify thematic priorities IHLRC work;
12. Support gender mainstreaming in the organization and contribute to a more equal society through gender conscious behavior, role modeling, and openness towards capacity building
13. Assist the IHLRC director in other tasks where required.
1. Degree in law (JD or LLM) with specialization and/or experience in international law (e.g., IHL, IHRL);
license to practice and some practice experience is a merit;
2. Three to five years of experience working in international law;
3. Excellent research, writing and editing skills;
4. Strong communications skills, including public speaking and training;
5. Experience or background in Corporate Responsibility is a merit;
6. Excellent knowledge about the current oPt and Israel context;
7. Familiarity with the Palestinian and Israeli civil societies;
8. Willingness and ability to work in a team;
9. Preference for native-level English writing proficiency; strong command of Arabic and/or Hebrew desirable;
10. Strong organization skills, attention to detail and sense of humor are pluses.
Cover letter and curriculum vitae, including references, along with a writing sample/excerpt (2 to 3 pages maximum, written by applicant and not edited by others) should be submitted by email to Diakonia by 10 October 2016 at firstname.lastname@example.org
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Diakonia is an equal employment opportunity organization.