Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is a British charity that supports the safety of aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO services help NGOs with their day-to-day risk management responsibilities and improve their overall situational awareness to support evidence-based humanitarian access decisions.
The Organisation has grown from innovative start-up to become a globally recognised charity and a highly valued component in the humanitarian safety coordination system.
The strong focus on humanitarian principles and exclusive NGO-only membership criteria have meant that INSO is now accepted as a standard component of modern humanitarian response offering independent frontline reporting and coordination services that save lives, strengthen operational practice and enable humanitarian access.
Today the organisation provides daily support to more than 1000 NGOs in eleven of the world’s most insecure countries and has earned a strong reputation for performance, principles & professionalism.
INSO established a presence in Palestine (Gaza) in late 2015 and launched full services in 2016. INSO Palestine provides services to enhance the delivery of aid and preserve the safety of staff employed by 90 Palestinian and International NGOs that provide humanitarian and emergency assistance to people living in Gaza. INSO continues these essential services and operates from a position of neutrality.
We are seeking an experienced individual to join our team as INSO Safety Advisor (SA) to be based in Gaza.
The position requires advanced analytical capacity, together with operational experience in insecure/post-conflict environments, and a strong understanding of the humanitarian community. Ideal candidates will have credible working experience in the NGO/humanitarian sector.
Successful applicants will be able to build and maintain a diverse network of contacts, articulate complex analysis from an objective, neutral perspective, and produce and disseminate written products and deliver briefings on a time-sensitive basis.
The position must display neutrality, objectivity and expertise and ensure that these qualities are upheld in all INSO activities and communications.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
• Establish and maintain an active network of relevant contacts.
• Operate systematically and to a fixed reporting format and schedule
• Provide NGOs with credible information and contextual analysis through: time-sensitive (24 hrs) and routine reports, thematic reports, and other products.
• Delivering monthly briefings to the NGO community.
• Provide capacity-building support to the NGO community, such as guidance regarding the development of internal NGO safety management plans.
• Assist with coordination and liaison functions with relevant actors. Ensure NGO safety requirements are adequately incorporated into international and local community planning structures.
• Assist with operational support services to the NGO community, including during crises and emergencies.
• Manages a small operational team.
• Represent, promote, and protect INSO’s mandate of independence, impartiality, and neutrality.
• Exemplary command of the English language (written and spoken).
• Master’s Degree-level of education or equivalent work experience
• Minimum of two full years of experience in an insecure/post-conflict, anywhere.
• Minimum of two years of experience with written analysis.
• Knowledge of humanitarian sector and operations.
• Strong understanding of humanitarian principles and theoretical and practised approaches to humanitarian access.
• Outgoing and confident personality, and a calm demeanour during crises. A self-starter who takes initiative to achieve results.
• Excellent networking, diplomatic, and representative communication skills.
• Flexibility to frequently work within irregular hours and occasionally within an austere setting.
(Not mandatory, but advantageous. Please specify in cover letter)
• Minimum of two recent years of experience in the region, and ability to demonstrate advanced knowledge with the historical and current social, political, and safety contexts within the region. Strong Arabic language skills will be advantageous.
• Previous experience in an NGO, ideally within the Middle East region.
• Understanding of principles and practices in humanitarian action, NGO safety and risk management, humanitarian access, and civil-military coordination.
• Direct experience and involvement in a crisis management role.
• Experience in a highly-visible interagency role.
• Detailed understanding of INSO mandate and services.
• Existing (relevant) local information networks and contacts.
• Experience with datasets and quantitative analysis.
• Radio communications, IT, Information management, and GIS skills.
Terms & Conditions: 12-month contract with expected start date of 1 April 2017, €4550 per month salary, 4 days annual leave per month and 7 days of R&R every three months, global medical coverage, €150,000 AD&D coverage
How to Apply:
Interested persons are requested to send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org and ensure to reference ‘INSO Safety Advisor – Palestine (Gaza)’ in the subject line of your email. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted after the closing date.
• Cover Letter specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements, any preferred characteristics, your motivation for applying, and what you hope to bring to INSO (2 page maximum).
• Updated CV (5 page maximum).
• One relevant and substantive writing sample in English, which demonstrates your analytical and reporting abilities (5 page maximum, but may be less).
• List of at least 3 references, including email contact information.
Please do not send any additional information (such as copies of certificates, copies of diplomas, other writing samples, etc.) and keep the total size of your application under 2MB if possible.