Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States and has been present in Jerusalem, West Bank, and Gaza (JWBG) since 1961. The CRS JWBG country program currently supports development/relief programs and activities in the sectors of agricultural livelihoods, humanitarian assistance, youth & women empowerment, micro-finance, child
protection and peace & justice. For further information about CRS, please visit: www.crs.org .
CRS is seeking a highly qualified consultant as per the following scope of work:
Through the generous donation of the Schmidt Family Foundation, CRS and local partner Basma Society
for Culture and Arts (Basma) are working together to engage conflict-affected children in cultural and artistic activities. These activities help to facilitate positive coping, self-expression, and ultimately, healing from trauma. The project uses a creative art methodology (CAM) involving the performance of live puppet shows throughout the Gaza strip. The CAM methodology is based on an innovative puppet-based approach to dealing with emotions, strengthening interpersonal relationships, and promoting emotional and social resilience.
CRS and Basma will roll out puppet shows to 2,000 children between the ages of 6-12 attending CRS- supported child-friendly community centers located in Gaza and Middle Governorates. Following each performance, puppeteers will hold interactive discussions with children to deepen the children’s engagement with the play’s messages.
CRS seeks a professional puppet maker to conduct a 10-day training for 10-12 staff to design, create and
animate both string and big-mouth puppets. During the training, participants will produce this years’
puppets (both string and big-mouth) according to the characters in the script. (Script to be shared)
Training level for big-mouth puppets will be advanced. Trainees have 3-4 years’ experience with
Training level for string puppets will be beginner. This is the first time trainees will be designing, creating and animating string puppets
Specific tasks include:
1. Prepare a list of material, tools and equipment needed for creating puppets (string and big mouth)
2. Design and lead 10-day puppet making training for 10-12 staff to:
a. Teach trainees about new trends and techniques pertaining to puppeteering and puppet
b. Work with trainees to design and produce string and big mouth puppets based on characters in this year’s production
c. Teach trainees how to animate newly created string and big mouth puppets for this year’s
production in theatre and table-top productions
3. Propose recommendations for both actors and set design for this year’s production based on the characters of the puppet show
4. Provide any feedback on the training and recommendations for the production following the training
Deliverables for the Consultancy
1. List of material, tools and equipment needed for creating puppets (string and big-mouth)
2. Deliver 10-day puppet making training for 8-10 staff on the design, creation and animation of big- mouth and string puppets for both theatre and table-top productions
3. List of recommendations for both actors and set design for this year’s production based on the characters of the puppet show
4. Feedback on the training and recommendations for the production following the training
Timeline and Working Conditions
Tentative dates for the puppet making training are March 21, 2017 to April 03, 2017. Working hours are set from 8:00 am – 4: 00 pm. All work with staff, partners and community members will take place from Sunday-Thursday unless otherwise decided collectively by staff.
How to apply:
Interested applicants with relevant experience are encouraged to submit an application as follows:
Application form and complete Terms of Reference is available at http://jobs.crsjwbg.org
Submit the following:
2. Professional References
3. Pictures or video clips of puppets you have personally produced
4. Proposed agenda for puppet-making workshop (Arabic or English)
5. Submit a financial proposal. Prices should be in US Dollars ($) and must be valid up till 90 days after the submission date. The financial proposal has to identify the daily rate and the total cost. Please clarify the estimation cost of all training materials.
Please submit your complete application online at: http://jobs.crsjwbg.org/ no later than
March 16, 2017.
CRS reserves the right to reject all bids, and to decide not to pursue this procurement.
CRS is not obliged to procure the lowest priced offer, when the lowest price does not offer the best overall value, all other factors considered. For any questions, kindly contact CRS at email@example.com.